If you regularly welcome guests to your Airbnb at all times of the day or night, it makes sense to give them access through a key safe. Providing a safe and secure way to let your guests self-check-in 24 hours a day, the right lockbox is a convenient solution for guests and hosts alike. But which key safe should you choose? Let’s take a look at what to consider when choosing a key safe for your Airbnb property.
What Kind of Key Safe is a Good Choice?
There are 3 main types of key safe:
- digital combination safes, where your guest enters a security code digitally, on an electronic display
- dial combination safes, where your guest enters a code by turning separate dials for each digit
- mechanical push button safes, where visitors punch in the security code using mechanical buttons
All of these can be fixed securely to an outside wall, for easy access.
When choosing a key safe for your Airbnb, it’s important to get the right balance between ease of use and security. You want to make it easy for your guests to access the property, while at the same time keeping intruders out. For this reason, the strength and robustness of your key safe may be more important than the method of entering the combination; it needs to be tamper-proof and impossible to remove from the wall, so reinforced metal safes are best.
If you are looking for a key safe that can be programmed remotely, a digital combination safe is your best option. This is a good choice if your Airbnb property is far away from your home, as it lets you reset the combination from afar, rather than having to do it manually. Some models can also monitor who has accessed the property and when.
If a physical key safe doesn’t feel right to you, you could also consider a smart lock (which uses a signal from the guest’s smartphone over Bluetooth or Wi-Fi) or digital keypad with a security code, to grant entry even when you can’t be there in person. Take a look at some of the main types of access control that can be used for your Airbnb property.
Key Safe Best Practices
A key safe is only secure if you follow best practices to maximise security. Here are some basic procedures to help protect your keys:
- Position your key safe somewhere secluded, such as behind foliage, so that it’s not obvious to passers-by. This will reduce your risk of opportunistic thefts or break-ins
- Change the combination on a regular basis. Your Airbnb will play host to lots of different people, all of whom will have access to the entry code. Keep your property secure by changing the combination frequently – preferably between each visitor
- Remove the keys when the property is unoccupied. It doesn’t make sense to keep the keys accessible to outsiders when nobody is due to stay in your property, so remove them if you can
Professional key safe installation
For a secure key safe that you can rely on, get it professionally installed. Contact us for key safe installation in Hertfordshire and North London, on 0800 052 0922.